lunes, 1 de noviembre de 2010

"Atonement", Literary and Movie Review

Two days ago I finished my reading of Ian McEwan's novel -my beloved Bea lend it to me, eternal thanks- and just after that I felt the urge to watch the movie. In the film, Joe Wright -also responsible for "Pride and Prejudice", which I'm reading right now- adapts the novel in a magnificent way, translating whole pages into gazes and overseeing almost nothing. If one thing surprised me was that previously I hated Keira Knightly -soooooooooorry- and her duck-mouth but in this movie she's just marvelous. And what should I say about her clothes? Thanks, God, for giving us Jacqueline Durran, the costume designer! Below you can see some of my favourite fashion moments of the movie, though I don't include the green dress, don't know, but it's not my style.
Regarding Cecilia Tallis, Knightly's character, I found it much nicer in the book. The movie shows a rather cold woman, despite all the things she's gone through, and I preferred the literary Cee. However, the movie also has its strong points, like the presence of Vanessa Redgrave as the old Briony and the beautiful final scene with the white cliffs of southern England. Finally I just have to add that, in order to remove your disgust about poor Saoirse Ronan, the actress who plays child Briony, you should watch "The Lovely Bones". Do it and you tell me.

Cover of the paperback.

Please, let's go back to those swimming clothes!


My favourite clothes, at the very beginning (and before getting wet).


Great ginger: young Lola, Tallis sisters' cousin.


Tragic ending.


The white cliffs of Devon make me also think of the ending of "Quadrophenia".

7 comentarios:

  1. yo cuando vi esta peli hice captura de la hermana con esa blusa tambien jaja igual la añado a mi proyecto de encontrar cosas similares pr internet!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. the ginger one? All the shirts are amazingggggggggg

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Just thinking about this makes me tear.
    And excuse me but I hated Keira Knightly -soooooooooorry- and her duck-mouth but in this movie she's just marvelous. Ha! I'm going to remind you this forever and then some more.

    ResponderEliminar
  4. hahahahahahaha. I said SORRY, ok? But I still think her mouth out of the movies is just weird. Something similar happens to Renée Zellweger.

    ResponderEliminar
  5. Me encanta todo de Atonement: el libro, la película, la música, el vestuario, los decorados, etc. Es una joya.

    ResponderEliminar
  6. I loved the book and just didn't feel Keira was right for the part (in fact, I'm not sure I've ever felt she was right for any part, to be honest). But James McAvoy was brilliant I thought, and Juno Temple, who played Lola, is great! I love her! She was also wonderful in Glorious 39 which if you liked Atonement you would probably also enjoy - and there are so very many wonderful vintage outfits in it, too :)

    Have never watched the Lovely Bones, perhaps I'll check it out - I see it has Rachel Weisz in and she's such a good actress.

    ResponderEliminar

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...